“Watch Bees” also gave me my first reprint sale, first foreign sale, and first sale in translation: it should appear in the Russian sf magazine ESLI early in this new year.
As far as writing new fiction goes, I had mixed results. I finished several first drafts and got them critiqued by the Incognitos, but late in the year I had an unproductive spell, and only one of those critiqued drafts has been transformed into a submission draft that I’m satisfied with. (I have a query out to an editor who had expressed an interest in that story. If he doesn’t want it, I’ll send it off to the regular magazine markets.)
The new year should be more productive, with several stories a short step from being submission-ready, and several new projects waiting to be begun.
I also wrote 29 articles for Wise Bread. I’ve bolded a few where I thought I managed to say just what I was trying to say:
- Who Cheated Us Out of Our Amazing Future?
- How to Really Save Money When You Shop
- Choosing a Luxury Eccentricity
- Bohemians Then and Now
- While Waiting for Rates: I-Bonds
- Book Review: The Road Out of Debt
- Peak Debt and Income
- Book Review: Debt Free for Life
- The Limits to Just Not Buying
- Energy Price Spikes
- Stalemate on the Debt Ceiling?
- Are Your Finances Fragile?
- Building a Credit History
- New Tools for the Unbanked
- Live Where It’s Cheap
- Understanding the Gold Standard
- Debt Ceiling Contingency Plans
- Stay in School until the Job Market Improves?
- Less or Cheaper?
- Social Security Is Not a Ponzi Scheme
- 4 Ways to Beat Debit Card Fees
- Avoiding the Poverty Tax
- Occupy Wall Street, the 99%, and All That
- Why Inflation?
- Escape Student Loan Debt — Slowly
- The Psychology of Cash Flow
- Abandon Losing Strategies
- Put Off Saving for Retirement
- The Freedom of the Independent Yeoman