Philip Brewer's Writing Progress


Wednesday, 25 July 2001

I got just a bit of writing done. The word count for the insurance story is at 2390.

I also figured out what I need to do to fix one of my Clarion stories. It had two problems--one was that a lot of readers thought something was going on that wasn't. The other was that it needed more description. I had actually done some minor tweeks to try to fix the first problem, but they hadn't worked. Today, though, I figured out that the fixes to the second problem would automatically take care of the first. I had been daunted because of viewpoint problems--the viewpoint character just isn't going to be thinking about the thing I need to make clear to the reader. But I realized that I can make it clear just by including the sensory detail. The character doesn't have to think about it. It is good enough if he just clearly sees and hears what's going on. Then the reader will know.

It's nice when things come together.

One other nice thing: Jeffry Dwight sent out links for some graphics of the cover for Bones of the World: Tales from Time's End. You can see the thumbnail on my Published Fiction page. Clicking on the image will get you a larger picture. With luck, it'll be a book in time for WorldCon.

I went for a run today, my first run since getting back. After that Jackie and I went to the Fitness Center, which has gotten the machines we like back in service. So, that was a good start to the day.


Philip Brewer's Writing Progress homepage